Retaining your CPHIMS-CA certification
There are two ways to renew: Obtain a total of 60 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and pay your renewal fee by your expiration date OR re-write and successfully pass the certification exams.
The renewal processEarn CEUs
CPHIMS-CA holders are required to earn 60 CEUs during their renewal cycle by participating in professional education activities in the following categories:
- A minimum of 25 CEUs must be obtained from HIMSS or HIMSS Approved Provider activities;
- A minimum of 10 CEUs must be obtained from Digital Health Canada activities;
- Remaining CEUs can be obtained from other providers of HI professional education activities. If you are unsure if a particular event/activity suffices, please send the agenda to Digital Health Canada for confirmation.
- Track your CEUs as you earn them, using your HIMSS account
- Check out Digital Health Canada’s list of CEU accredited activities you may have already attended
- Don’t forget that Digital Health Canada Webinar Wednesdays are each worth one CEU hour. Recordings of past webinars can be downloaded in the Digital Health Canada Store (free to Digital Health Canada members).
- Individuals are responsible for tracking their own CEU hours earned during a renewal cycle. Start documenting your CEUs through the HIMSS online tracking certification application, which is linked to your HIMSS account.
- Log in to your HIMSS Account
- In the upper right hand corner of HIMSS.org, click “Sign In”
- Hover your mouse over your name in the toolbar and click “My Account” from the drop-down menu
- Under “My Certifications”, click the “Edit” icon
- Click the orange “Add New Transcript” button
- A pop-up box will appear. Fill out the fields in the pop-up box to add your qualifying CEU
- Don’t forget to click the “Save” button
- Edit or remove continuing education credits as needed
- You may renew and pay for your recertification online as early as six months prior to, but no later than, the expiration date on your certificate
- Submit Your Renewal
- On your dashboard, locate the “Submit Transcriptions” button. You may add or manage your transcripts any time during the certification period, the submission period is the time when you can submit and apply for recertification. Review the “authenticate and attest” statement. Click “yes” or “no”. Follow the recertification fees instructions and click to pay.
- Enter your address, city, state and country in the fields, and click the “Save Address” button.
- Enter payment information and click the “Complete Your Order” button
- Review Order Confirmation: Review your summary of order number and billing address.
- Receive a confirmation email and payment receipt for the recertification.
- When HIMSS receives your renewal application, it will be reviewed and processed.
- When your payment has been processed, you will receive an emailed receipt.
- When your certificate is ready to ship, you will receive an email confirming your address.
- When your certificate is mailed, you will receive an email including a tracking number.
Digital Health Canada-approved CEU EventsConferences and Events 2015 - 2017
|Event Title||Date||Location||CE Hours|
|e-Health 2018 Conference and Tradeshow||May 27-30, 2018||Vancouver,BC||23|
|Driving the Future of Digital Health||Oct. 30, 2017||Toronto,ON||6|
|BCHIMPS 2017 Annual Fall Education Symposium||Sept. 29, 2017||Vancouver,BC||5.75|
|e-Health 2017 Conference and Tradeshow||June 4-7, 2017||Toronto,ON||23|
|Digital Health Canada Breakfast: Patient Engagement and Connected Care||March 27, 2017||Vancouver, BC||1.5|
|Update on Ontario Digital: Innovation in Ontario||March 6, 2017||Toronto,ON||5|
|BCHIMPS||February 24, 2017||Vancouver, BC||5|
|Digital Health Canada/ANHIX Conference 2017||February 8, 2017||Calgary, AB||5|
|Standards Build Trust: World Standards Day||October 14, 2016||Toronto,ON||1|
|Democratizing Healthcare: Empowering Patients through Technology||Sept. 30, 2016||Vancouver, BC||6|
|e-Health 2016 Conference||June 5 – 8, 2016||Vancouver, BC||24|
|CHIEF Spring Symposium||June 3 -4, 2016||Vancouver, BC||9|
|Ontario Update Conference||April 4, 2016||Toronto, ON||7|
|BCHIMPS Annual Spring Education Symposium||March 18, 2016||Vancouver, BC||6|
|eHealth Ontario – eSafety Workshop||May 18, 2016||Toronto, ON||3.5|
|eHealth Ontario – Introduction to eSafety||February 22, 2016||Virtual||2.5|
|Canada Health Infoway eSafety Workshop||January 19, 2016||Toronto, ON||6|
|2016 Partnerships in Healthcare||February 2, 2016||Toronto, ON||2|
|ANHIX/Digital Health Canada Conference 2016||February 3, 2016||Calgary, AB||5|
|The Changing Nature of Healthcare||Nov. 26, 2016||Toronto, ON||8|
|Canada Health Infoway: Fall Partnership 2015||Nov. 24 & 25, 2015||Vancouver, BC||10.5|
|eHealthAchieve 2015 (eHealth Forum at HealthAchieve)||Nov. 2 & 3, 2015||Toronto, ON||6.25 (Nov 2: 1.5, Nov 3: 4.75)|
|e-Safety Workshop||Oct. 28, 2015||Edmonton, AB||3.5|
|National HI eSafety Summit||Oct. 27, 2015||Edmonton, AB||6.40|
|Alberta Health Services Clinical Informatics Lunch & Learns||May 15 – April 17, 2015||Calgary, Alberta||1|
|e-Health 2015 Conference||May 31 – June 3, 2015||Toronto, ON||23.5|
|Digital Health Canada/ BCHIMPS Conference||March 27, 2015||Vancouver, BC||5.75|
|ITCH 2015||Feb. 26 – March 1, 2015||Vancouver, BC||15.25|
|Digital Health Canada-ANHIX Conference 2015||Feb. 5, 2015||Calgary, AB||5|
|Conferences & Events||Date||Location||CE Hours|
|2014 PHIPA Summit||Dec. 8 & 9, 2014||Toronto ON||4|
|Infoway: Fall Partnership Conference 2014||Nov. 26-27, 2014||Toronto ON||9.51|
|World Standards Day- 2014 eHealth Ontario||Oct. 14, 2014||Online||1|
|e-Health 2014||June 1 – 4, 2014||Vancouver BC||23|
|Ontario Update Conference||April 4, 2016||Toronto ON||7|
|Digital Health Canada-HIMSS Ontario Conference- ONUP14||April 29 2014||Toronto ON||5.25|
|eHealth Ontario – eSafety Workshop||May 18, 2016||Toronto ON||3.5|
|ANHIX Digital Health Canada 2014 Conference – Calgary||Feb. 13, 2014||Calgary Alberta||5.7|
|Data Analytics for Healthcare Summit, Day 2||December 4, 2013||Toronto ON||5.25|
|Data Analytics for Healthcare Summit, Day 1||December, 3 2013||Toronto ON||7.5|
|Big Data Analytics in Health Event||Oct 9, 2013||Toronto ON||6|
|The Changing Nature of Healthcare||Nov. 26,2016||Toronto ON||8|
|CLHI Breakfast Series (Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver)||Oct. 2 & 8, 2013||Toronto/Calgary/Vancouver||1|
|2013 eHealth Ontario World Standards Day Webinar||Oct. 15, 2013||Online||1|
|2013 Fall Partnership Pre-Conference Tutorials and Workshop||Nov. 25-26, 2013||Halifax Nova Scotia||7+|
|2013 Canada Infoway Fall Partnership Conference||Nov. 27-28, 2013||Halifax Nova Scotia||11+|
|eHealth Achieve 2013||Nov. 4-5, 2013||Toronto ON||6+|
|Manitoba eHealth 2013||Oct. 30, 2013||Winnipeg MB||4.2|
|e-Health 2013||May 26-29, 2013||Ottawa ON||28+|
|Western Canada Health Information Privacy Symposium (WCHIPS 2013)||May 15-16, 2013||Winnipeg MB||11+|
|eHealth Achieve 2012||Nov. 6-7, 2012||Toronto ON||7.5|
|2012 Fall Partnership Conference||Nov. 28-30, 2012||Vancouver BC||13.5|
|2012 Fall Partnership Pre-Conference Tutorials and Workshop||Nov. 26-27, 2012||Vancouver BC||Up to 15.0|
|Manitoba eHealth 2012||Oct. 31, 2012||Winnipeg MB||3.2|
|Innovations: Practical Realities, Fresh Ideas and New Perspectives in Ottawa||Oct. 16, 2012||Ottawa ON||5.45|
|e-Health 2012: Innovating Health e-Care||May 27-30, 2012||Vancouver BC||28+|
|Canada Health Infoway Partnership Conference||Nov. 21-22, 2011||Halifax NS||7.0|
|Manitoba eHealth||Oct. 25, 2011||Winnipeg MB||4.15|
|eHealth 2011||May 29-June 1, 2011||Toronto ON||8.5|
|eHealth 2010||May 31-June 2, 2010||Vancouver BC||10.8|
|Digital Health Canada Webinar Wednesdays||Weekly||Online||1 hour = 1
30 minutes = 0.5
|Alberta Health Services QHI Webinar – eSafety||March 9, 2016||Online||1.0|
|Ontario Hospital Association World Standards Day – 2015 eHealth Ontario Webcast Webcast Video||Oct. 14, 2015||Online||1.0|
|Ontario Hospital Association Webinar: eHealth Series 2015: How to Move Up the EMRAM||Sept. 22, 2015||Online||1.5|
|2014 e-Health CTF Telehealh Symposium Video||Ongoing||Online||1.0|
|2014 e-Health CCF Clinician Symposium Video||Ongoing||Online||1.0|
|Ontario eHealth Standards||Ongoing||Online||1.0|
|eHealth Ontario – Information Architecture Course||Ongoing||Online||1.0|
|eHealth Ontario- Service Oriented Architecture Course||Ongoing||Online||1.0|
|Infoway Webinars||Ongoing||Online||= length of webinar|
|ANHIX/Digital Health Canada Conference||Feb. 3, 2016||Calgary, AB||5|
|eSafety Webinar “Ensuring the Safety of our eHealth Systems”||November 19 & 26, 2014||Online||3.0|
|eSafety Webinar “Ensuring the Safety of our eHealth Systems”||November 19 & 26, 2014||Online||3.0|
|Telehealth, eHealth and First Nations and Inuit Communities||September 25, 2012||Online||1.0|
|eHIP Webinar – Health Informatics Education for Practising Professionals: What, Why and How?||September 19, 2012||Online||1.0|
|e-Health Around the World in 80 (or less; much less) Slides!!||June 26, 2012||Online||1.0|
|eHIP Webinar – Canada’s National IT Direction: An Update from Canada Health Infoway||June 6, 2012||Online||1.0|
|Bringing Telehealth to the Desktop||May 15, 2012||Online||1.0|
|Linking the Health System Silos… A Natural Technology Synergy of Process, People + Technology||April 25, 2012||Online||1.0|
|Five Year to a Successful Program: The VIHA Experience||April 17, 2012||Online||1.0|
|Information Management Across the Continuum of Care||April 11, 2012||Online||1.0|
|mHealth The Implications for Physicians and Patients||March 20, 2012||Online||1.0|
|Telehealth in the North The Alaskan Perspective||February 28, 2012||Online||1.0|
|Telehealth in Newfoundland – Bringing Telehealth to Rural Communities||February 14, 2012||Online||1.0|
|An Innovation Evolution Designing Intelligent Mobility for the Enterprise||January 18, 2012||Online||1.0|
|Rebuilding Telehealth in Nunavut||January 17, 2012||Online||1.0|
|mHealth and Mobile Devices||November 22, 2011||Online||1.0|
|What about the People? A National Change Management Framework to Enable Solution Planning & Adoption||October 18, 2011||Online||1.0|
CEU CategoriesCategory 1: Continuing Education
Topics must be relevant to healthcare information and management systems, including: Canadian Healthcare System, Clinical & Health Services, Information Technology, Information Management, Analysis & Evaluation, Organizational & Behavioural Management, Project Management. Earn one CE hour for each 60 minutes of participation.
Participation and/or audit in formal educational programs of study that address relevant healthcare information and management system subject areas. Post-secondary healthcare information and management systems courses attended for credit, including guided independent study and regular college or university courses. Earn one CE hour for each classroom hour.
The development of original work, relevant to healthcare information and management systems professionals, delivered to an audience.
- Speaker at an educational program. Earn one CE hour for each 15 minutes of podium time
- Panel participant at an educational program. Earn one CE hour for each 60 minutes of podium time
- Guest lecturer for a college/university course. Earn one CE hour for each 15 minutes of podium time
- Primary author of content related to healthcare information and management systems utilized in e-Learning and/or other media presentations. Earn one CE hour for each 15 minutes of presentation time.
The development of original work, relevant to healthcare information and management systems professionals, reproduced by written or electronic means for dissemination to the public. You must be the author or co-author.
- Book. Earn 20 CE hours.
- Book chapter. Earn 15 CE hours.
- Article published in a peer-reviewed journal. Earn five CE hours.
- Article published in a professional newsletter. Earn three CE hours.
Complete one or more years of volunteer service with an international, national, state, provincial or local related professional organization/society (e.g. Board of directors, task force, committees)
Earn five CE hours for each year of service.
Earn CE hours pre-determined by HIMSS or Digital Health Canada respectively.