February events recap
Two different events took place in February – the 6th Annual Digital Health Canada/ANHIX Calgary Winter Conference “Enabling Effective Community Healthcare” on February 6, and Ahead of the Curve Vancouver Conference on February 8.
Calgary: Enabling Effective Community Healthcare
Attendees at the Digital Health Canada/ANHIX Calgary Winter Conference explored effective care delivery issues and opportunities, examined current Alberta initiatives that are impacting this area, and looked at the technology innovations that are making this possible.
Panels discussed the benefits vs. the costs of an integrated community health record and how data may be used to enable more effective community healthcare; the challenges that need to be overcome in order to better treat mental illness in the community; and which emerging technologies are most likely to create positive disruption in community healthcare delivery.
One attendee said: “The conference was the most informative and engaging that I have experienced from ANHIX/Digital Health Canada. Each panel had a wide variety of experiences. Keynote was very knowledgeable and informative.”
Calgary speakers and panelists included:
- Keynote Speaker Marc Pelletier, CEO, Institute for Health System Transformation and Sustainability
- Susan Anderson, Managing Partner, Orion Health
- Rohit Joshi, CEO, BrightSquid
- Dr. Hamid Najafi, CEO, Sensoplex
- Barb Kathol, Senior Program Officer, Alberta Health Services
- Tim Murphy, Vice President, Provincial Platforms, Alberta Innovates
- Meaghan Nolan, Co-Founder, Mikata Health
- Dr. Damon Ramsey, Physician, healthcare futurist, Input Health
- Sonya Stasiuk, Director, Alberta Health
- Dr. David Tano, Psychiatrist, Alberta Health Services
- Dr. Michael Trew, Senior Medical Director, Alberta Health Services
- Paul Twigg, VP, Technology, Sierra Systems
- Doug Vincent, Provincial Director, Community, Seniors and Addiction & Mental Health, Alberta Health Services
- Howard Waldner, Dean of Health, Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
Vancouver: Staying Ahead of the Curve in a Rapidly Changing Industry
This event brought together professionals, organizations, and ideas from across the Vancouver digital health landscape to discuss Innovation Governance with examples of board and C-level leadership on digital innovation and elements for implementing an innovation governance model; addressing the challenges of bringing together disparate sources of data and organizational assets to unlock real value, and the intersection points between consumer-driven access, retail health, virtual care, and innovative extensions of traditional care models. Closing keynote speaker Louise Turner, CEO, Innovation Boulevard, shared insights into health and technology innovation and highlighted key challenges and opportunities for collaboration between traditional healthcare stakeholders, innovators, government, and academia.
Attendees hailed the discussions as “timely and relevant”, with one attendee singling out the data panel as a particular favourite.
Vancouver speakers and panelists included:
- Alexandra Best, Business and Marketing Strategy Director, TELUS Health
- Michael Bidu, Founder and CEO, Interface Health
- Joyce Drohan, Managing Director and PwC’s Analytics Consulting Leader and Healthcare Practice Leader for British Columbia
- Marc Faktor, Senior Director, Business Development, Think Research
- Michael Fergusson, Founder and CEO, Ayogo
- Dr. Alexandra T. Greenhill, Founder, CEO, Chief Medical Officer, Careteam Technologies Inc.
- Todd Kalyniuk, Partner, Healthcare Transformation, IBM
- Tom Kim, Board of Directors, Fraser Health
- Dr. Douglas Kingsford, Chief Medical Information Officer and Executive Medical Director, Interior Health
- Dr. Victoria Lee, Vice President, Population Health and Chief Medical Health Officer, Fraser Health
- Peter Payne, Entrepreneur In Residence at BC Innovation Council (BCIC)
- Louise Turner, CEO, Innovation Boulevard