Senior Analyst, Health System Performance
Job number: J0523-1976
Job title: Senior Analyst, Health System Performance
Job Type: Contract
Location: Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Number of positions: 1
Contract Duration: 1 year
Date posted: September 29, 2023
Closing date: October 23, 2023
Range minimum: $77,390.00/year
Who we are
We are an organization comprised of industry thought leaders who are passionate about health data and want to make a difference in the health care field. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization and together with our partners we provide essential information on Canada’s health systems, enabling decisions that lead to healthier Canadians. As a valued member of the CIHI team, you and your work will have a pivotal role in the evolution of Canada’s health care systems.
CIHI is recognized as an exceptional place to work that embraces diversity, respect, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Learn about our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and the work being done to create a more inclusive and welcoming organization by focusing on how we learn, govern and practise.
At CIHI, we recognize what matters to our employees. Some of the benefits of working at CIHI include
- HOOPP Pension Plan (Defined Benefits Pension)
- Retirement Planning Program
- Generous vacation days for permanent and long-term contracts
- Work-life balance
- Career Planning Program
- Learning and Professional Development Program
- Flexible benefits program from your first day on the job for permanent and long-term contracts
Why is this role important?
The Senior Analyst plays a key role in organizing and leveraging the pan-Canadian data CIHI holds. This may involve data management, developing and maintaining data and information standards (e.g., methodologies, indicators, and statistics), preparing relevant documentation, providing client support, assessing data quality, producing statistics, fulfilling custom data requests, conducting analysis and contributing to analytical reports. Senior analysts will participate in department/branch projects and initiatives, as well as other meetings and special projects as required.
The Shared Health Priorities project involves a multi-disciplinary team across CIHI to respond to the emerging needs of Canada’s health system. A collaborative indicator selection process will involve engagement with stakeholders at the provincial and territorial governments across the country and will result in new priority indicators for development. Indicators included in the selection process will focus on mental health and substance use, health system resilience, primary health care and modernized health systems. Analysis will leverage data across CIHI and work will vary based on assignment, with analysts working on high-priority work as it evolves. This is an opportunity to join a motivated, collaborative and high performing matrix- style team that fosters and prioritizes mentorship, growth and development of its members.
Note: This posting may be used to fill similar positions in the Health System Performance Branch.
What you’ll do
- Conducts environmental scans and literature reviews to support the development of reports, statistics, and indicators.
- Works with the Lead to manage CIHI data, ensuring it is fit for purpose, and to support the production of key deliverables for internal and external dissemination. Key deliverables include relevant documentation, data tables, custom data requests, and topical analytical reports.
- Conducts data management activities including writing and updating statistical code
required for the development, computation, analysis, and/or verification of key deliverables. This may include support for the release of data and information through private and public reporting tools, including leading the execution of test strategies / test cases to ensure accuracy of the reported results in adherence with CIHI’s corporate information quality framework.
- Maintains detailed knowledge of data, tools, and analytical techniques used to produce standard and ad-hoc outputs.
- Leads and/or contributes to the development of materials (e.g., analytical reports, methodology or technical notes, presentations, educational, media, etc.) for dissemination of findings and knowledge translation, and reviews written products for analytic accuracy and quality.
- Provides professional and timely client support to respond to internal and external client queries as required.
- Ensures adherence to, and ability to demonstrate compliance with, CIHI’s privacy and security policies and procedures when using CIHI data and information.
- Maintains current knowledge of CIHI’s data holdings, trends in health services research and health policy, and stakeholder information needs to support current work and contribute to the development of new analytic proposals.
- Participates in other meetings and corporate project teams as required.
What you’ll bring to the table
- Undergraduate degree in a health-related field, or equivalent education/experience. A graduate degree is considered an asset.
- Three to five years related experience working with relational databases / large datasets,
including manipulating, maintaining, and preparing data and presenting analyses and reports for different audiences. Work experience in a healthcare related setting is considered an asset.
- Proficiency with data manipulation and statistical software, such as SAS, R, Python or other statistical software is essential.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with minimal supervision.
- Proven organizational and time management skills, with an ability to manage multiple projects and priorities effectively to meet deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Fluency in English is required, bilingualism is an asset.
To find out more about this role and other exciting opportunities visit our website at www.cihi.ca and check out our ‘Careers’ section.
We thank all those who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At CIHI we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please note the CIHI Recruiting Team uses email to communicate with applicants. Please make sure your profile has an updated email address that is checked regularly, including the junk/spam mail folder, as we send time sensitive emails (i.e. testing and interview bookings).