Quantitative Science Faculty Position at NCI Designated Cancer Center (Fully Remote Work Allowed)
National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated Tisch Cancer Institute (TCI) is currently seeking PhD quantitative scientist (QS) or MD with interest in QS to fill a faculty position for building a cancer clinical data informatics core. He/she will partner with oncology researchers and clinicians at TCI to enable effective and efficient use of the Mount Sinai Data Warehouse (MSDW) resources including Epic Caboodle and Clarity databases, OMOP Common Data Model and their respective cohort query tools and interfaces. He/she will ensure front-line clinicians, researchers and trainees receive clean and accurate data by overseeing activities related to the cancer data mart, data mining, data mapping and data integrity. This individual will collaborate with the scientific computing group and biostatistics core members to analyze data and bring projects to fruition in a timely manner. Grantsmanship as principal investigator with development of bioinformatics and data science methods is encouraged but not mandatory.
TCI Clinical Informatics core will be embedded within the Institute of Healthcare Delivery Science (I-HDS), a trans-disciplinary research institute affiliated with the Department of Population Health Science and Policy. I- HDS mission is to improve the effectiveness, safety, and efficiency of healthcare for patients treated at Mount Sinai health system through analyses of electronic medical record data through a variety of observational and machine learning based analyses. TCI informaticians (PhD and MS) are welcome to get involved in I-HDS projects that encompass following clinical areas: Hospital epidemiology, Transgender Medicine and Surgery, Geriatrics, Nutrition, Respiratory Disease (Asthma, COPD, Lung disease, Sleep Apnea), Neurology, Psychiatry (Addiction, Aggression, etc.), Pharmacology, and Women’s health.
TCI and I-HDS provide quantitative scientists with excellent opportunities to develop professionally, which involves strong mentorship and participation in disseminating research findings through scientific publications and organization of symposiums. Successful candidates will also be nurtured by Dr. Madhu Mazumdar for Quantitative Science core leadership for NIH funded international grants like AIDS Malignancy Consortium.
Dr. Mazumdar is well known for her mentorship track record and is the winner of EL Scott Award 2022 from American Statistical Association.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a liaison and advocate for oncology researchers and clinicians in the Tisch Cancer Institute (TCI) for their informatics needs.
- Elucidate data query questions and work through barriers to achieve results by effective collaboration with researchers, clinicians, the clinical informaticians and other team members at the Mount Sinai Data Warehouse (MSDW).
- Help to refine research and clinical requests for effective use of the MSDW and its affiliated databases and tools.
- Identify and deploy methods to notate data quality for enhanced research reproducibility.
- Identify additional data sources (internal and external) required for the large administrative and clinical database projects.
- Serve as a co-investigator on grant funded projects and initiatives, providing research and clinical informatics expertise and guidance.
- Represents TCI informatics on national research projects and grants through participation in phone calls, working groups and other venues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- MD or PhD in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence or related disciplines
- Leadership of at least three research projects end-to-end with minimal oversight
- Background in Oncology, either by education or professional experience
Application Deadline and Procedures:
Initial close date for the position is 8/15/2023. Applications are reviewed weekly thereafter until the search is closed. Working remotely (away from New York City) permanently is allowed.
Applicants are asked to email email@example.com with the subject line titled “TCI/I-HDS Data Scientist Recruitment” and attach one PDF document with the following materials:
- Curriculum vitae
- A letter of interest including the name of the position and rank for which you are applying, your qualifications and experience as it relates to the position
- Copies of two recent publications or unpublished reports
- Information for three professional references (their position, title, e-mail, phone number). Finalists will be asked to provide three letters of recommendation.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center–An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.