Job number: J1023-1664
Job title: Program Consultant, Python/R Instructor – Analytic Techniques and Tools – Learning
Job Type: Contract
Location: Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Number of positions: 1
Contract Duration: March 31, 2025
Date posted: October 27, 2023
Closing date: November 16, 2023
Range minimum: $92,830.00/year
Who we are
We are an organization comprised of industry thought leaders who are passionate about health data and want to make a difference in the health care field. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization and together with our partners we provide essential information on Canada’s health systems, enabling decisions that lead to healthier Canadians. As a valued member of the CIHI team, you and your work will have a pivotal role in the evolution of Canada’s health care systems.
CIHI is recognized as an exceptional place to work that embraces diversity, respect, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Learn about our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and the work being done to create a more inclusive and welcoming organization by focusing on how we learn, govern and practise.
At CIHI, we recognize what matters to our employees. Some of the benefits of working at CIHI include
- HOOPP Pension Plan (Defined Benefits Pension)
- Retirement Planning Program
- Generous vacation days for permanent and long-term contracts
- Work-life balance
- Career Planning Program
- Learning and Professional Development Program
- Flexible benefits program from your first day on the job for permanent and long-term contracts
Why is this role important?
The Program Consultant, Analytic Techniques and Tools – Learning (ATT-L) plans curricula, and designs and delivers courses on programming, software engineering, and related topics in the domain of health-services delivery and policymaking. They will contribute to the learning roadmap design; developing new courses as needed and delivering courses on an ongoing basis. The position emphasizes expertise in the use and teaching of Python, and related tools and techniques including machine learning, big data, and data visualization.
What you’ll do
The Program Consultant will also support the department in leading a community of practice around the organization, to encourage knowledge-sharing and collaboration on advanced analytics.
- Provide expertise and advice to staff and management on technical training in support of CIHI’s roadmap to migrate SAS-based products to Python, and further its overall business strategy.
- Lead analytical teams across CIHI in the planning, creation, and delivery of courses at various levels, with a focus on the use of Python (and occasionally R) software.
- Provide guidance and direction to CIHI analytical teams, and other stakeholders on creating high-quality courses and participates in peer course reviews.
- Create reports and deliver presentations related to course planning and delivery.
- Share knowledge and provide learning opportunities to CIHI staff related to advanced analytics, including machine learning, big data, and data visualization.
- Meet timelines and milestones by monitoring and reporting on deliverables. Accurately identify and communicate resource requirements and potential risks.
- Ensure that quality of products and activities are completed in compliance with CIHI Privacy and Confidentiality Policies and Procedures, including the ethical use of data.
What you’ll bring to the table
- Graduate degree in Informatics, Data Science, Computing Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Biostatistics, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- Extensive experience with Python to manipulate data and gain insight into datasets. Working experience with R is an asset.
- 3-5 years of experience with training, coaching, and mentoring. In person training experience is particularly relevant.
- 5 years of experience leading data analysis activities including data visualization, statistical analysis, machine learning, and/or data pipelines.
- Experience designing and building analytical solutions using good software engineering practices (e.g., code optimization, version control).
- Familiarity with high performance computing is an asset.
- Self-directed, and able to work with minimal supervision, while working effectively within a large, interdisciplinary team
- Strong problem-solving skills, with an emphasis on product and service development for business decisions.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, including the ability to document findings and communicate complex ideas in simple terminology (both orally and in writing).
- Understanding of Canada’s healthcare system is an asset
- Ability to fulfill occasional travel.
- Written and oral fluency in English is required.
We thank all those who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At CIHI we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please note the CIHI Recruiting Team uses email to communicate with applicants. Please make sure your profile has an updated email address that is checked regularly, including the junk/spam mail folder, as we send time sensitive emails (i.e. testing and interview bookings).