Title: Manager, Data Governance, Data Standards
Pay Grade: 7
Branch: Data Governance
Location: Ottawa or Toronto
Reports to: Director, Data Governance
Close date: July 4, 2022
Under the direction of the Director, the Manager is responsible for strategic planning, providing strategic advice and ensuring effective management of operations and team leadership for the Data Standards portfolio, in alignment with branch plans, corporate priorities and values. They are responsible for the planning, coordination, integration and enterprise alignment of data standards initiatives across CIHI. The manager oversees initiatives to strengthen capabilities and processes related to data standards development and operations within the organization and will establish and maintain strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and motivates the team; provides clear direction; effectively delegates and monitors performance results; motivates and develops others; supports the organization and team through change; makes decisions that balance the best interests of CIHI and its stakeholders; and leads by example by living CIHI’s core values.
- Plans for and manages day-to-day operations of the department and all projects of the portfolio, ensuring that deliverables are met according to the branch priorities and CIHI’s Operational Plan and Budget.
- Leads the maintenance and evolution of CIHI’s Data Standards Strategy, to ensure data standards development and operations align with corporate priorities, support CIHI’s Data Advancement goals and respond to stakeholders’ needs.
- Responsible for the planning, coordination, integration, and enterprise alignment of data standards initiatives led by subject matter experts across CIHI. Works in collaboration with data stewards, departments responsible for the data holdings/assets and any related systems to develop, publish, implement and maintain data standards in a coordinated and efficient manner. Leads activities to harmonize and align data standards and related processes.
- Oversees initiatives to strengthen capabilities and processes related to data standards development and operations within the organization.
- In collaboration with other branch managers and internal stakeholders ensures effective data and information governance and stewardship structures and practices are in place. Promotes cross-functional coordination and communication. Identifies priorities and provides leadership for initiatives to strengthen overall governance and stewardship capabilities within the organization.
- Develops and maintains appropriate relationships with existing and potential CIHI stakeholders to support portfolio and pursue opportunities and partnerships consistent with CIHI’s strategic goals. Interfaces and develops close working relationships with Canada Health Infoway, Statistics Canada, provincial and federal governments, standards bodies, relevant provincial/territorial organizations, data suppliers and other stakeholders to ensure CIHI data standards are developed and implemented effectively and meet information needs.
- Coordinates and supports all committees and expert groups relevant to the portfolio. Participates in meetings with external working groups and prepares documentation as required. Participates on provincial and national committees relevant to the portfolio.
- Develops the budget, operational and strategic plans for the department, reflecting priority needs of key stakeholders. Monitors progress ensuring projects and quality products are delivered on time and within budget.
- Collaborates effectively with management and staff across and between Divisions and ensures coordination of linked projects, products and services across portfolios.
- Manages and participates in the development, review and enhancement of portfolio documents, publications, promotional materials, manuals, and marketable research information. Leads and participates in media releases.
- Identifies and responds to stakeholder needs, including evolving existing products and services, responding to stakeholder queries and data requests, and providing education and information products and services.
- Provides key information, recommendations, and ongoing progress reports to the Director to ensure effective communication of relevant activities.
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in Health/Business Administration, Health Information or relevant field, or equivalent education/experience.
- 5 years’ experience in health care information, with experience in standards development and implementation, data management and/or data governance disciplines.
- Minimum 3 years of people leadership and business management experience.
- Solid awareness and understanding of the structure of Canada’s health system, health issues and service delivery systems.
- Sound knowledge of health information and its uses for policy development, planning, management, and evaluation purposes.
- Knowledge of external data standards and industry best practices (i.e. in health informatics and/or related statistical fields) is a definite asset
- Understanding of social determinants of health, survey data collection methods, and non-traditional health data sources is an asset.
- Excellent collaboration, facilitation and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Experience in managing complex operations and projects in a cross-functional work environment.
- Ability to meet travel requirements.
- Fluency in English is required, bilingualism is an asset.