Title: Legal Counsel
Pay Grade: 6
Branch: Privacy and Legal Services
POSNO: 1488 & 1222
Reports to: Senior Legal Counsel
Closing date: July 5, 2022
Under the direction and supervision of the Senior Legal Counsel, Legal Counsel is responsible for the day-to-day delivery of expert specialized legal advice and services to CIHI in matters relating to corporate, commercial, intellectual property, information technology and procurement. Legal Counsel negotiates and drafts various types of agreements and provides legal education sessions to the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Handles legal files as assigned; Provides legal services with a focus on the following areas: corporate/commercial, procurement, information technology, human resources and intellectual property.
- Drafts, negotiates and provides advice on various contracts and agreements for funding, collaboration, purchase of goods and services, protection of intellectual property, data sharing and copyright.
- Prepares and delivers legal education sessions to the organization.
- Identifies areas of shortcoming and drafts templates and other legal instruments to streamline the corporation’s activities and processes.
- Works closely with the Privacy and Information Security teams to ensure compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborates with teams across the organization to build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Conducts legal research and prepares legal opinions as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
- B or equivalent and member of good standing in the Law Society of Ontario.
- Minimum of seven years of post-call experience. Experience as in-house counsel would be an asset.
- Legal knowledge and experience in the following areas: corporate/commercial, information technology (including open source software), procurement and intellectual property licensing.
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills with a focus on information technology and corporate/commercial law.
- Knowledge of Canadian privacy law with a focus on the Ontario Personal Health Information Privacy Act (PHIPA) would be an asset.
- Excellent practical and business-oriented approach and sound decision-making abilities.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple and clear manner.
- Excellent analytical and research skills.
- Excellent planning and organization skills and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines and juggling multiple clients and deadlines.
- Works well with little supervision, possesses initiative.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Fluency in both official languages is a definite asset.