Job Title: Investment Advisor, Health/Life Sciences (term position)
Organization: InvestAlberta and Health Cities
Location: Edmonton or Calgary, Alberta
This position is a partnership between Health Cities, a Canadian not-for-profit corporation that works with clinicians, innovators, philanthropic organizations, and companies to develop new models of care to drive better health outcomes and economic growth in the health sector, and Invest Alberta, a company focused on bringing industry, government partners, and economic organizations together to offer seamless services that make it easy for investment to flow into the province.
This position will actively engage client organizations in the health/life sciences sector and work with team members to secure new entrants to the market. More than a lead generator, to be successful this individual will need to anticipate the needs of internal and external stakeholders and is expected to liase with all internal and external partners, both at home and abroad. The position will dually report to the Director of Business Operations at Health Cities and the Managing Director, Canada at Invest Alberta.
Primary duties will include:
- Creating opportunities to meet and engage with members of our community, government, and industry, showcasing the potential for health innovation, and for building networks.
- Serving as the knowledge base and problem solver for life sciences technology and innovation investors and managing interactions in a positive and professional manner.
- Identifying and qualifying potential investors and investment opportunities.
- Converting leads to opportunities and closing deals.
- Building strong connections and collaborative relationships across the organizations and externally to secure, retain and expand investment in Alberta.
- Effective relationship management with a variety of collaborators and stakeholders that may include travel, public presentations, or attending events/conferences.
- Recommending strategies and tools for health/life sciences sector development in the province.
- Locating, evaluating, and recruiting potential investors and qualified leads to ensure a substantive opportunity pipeline.
- Supporting the promotion of Alberta opportunities and success stories.
- Develop a business understanding of key health sector growth markets and identifying both related regional and international companies.
- Developing an in depth understanding of prospects, gathering and sharing market intelligence with the team and Government.
- Creating proposals and pitches for investors by working collaboratively with the Health Cities and IAC teams.
- Working with a variety of funders (public, industry, philanthropic) to execute on demonstration projects in the health sector growth markets.
- Understanding the industry’s value chain and the emerging technologies in the field.
- Supporting new business development opportunities and final investment decisions.
- Gathering and sharing market intelligence and developing an in-depth understanding of prospects.
- Supporting Health Cities and Invest Alberta team members and operations as required.
Team Coordination duties will include:
- Acting as a resource to the entire Health Cities and Invest Alberta teams.
- Developing, maintaining, and strengthening professional working relationships across the organizations and their partner networks.
- Working collaboratively with others, forging connections.
- Discretely handling confidential information and data – adhering to privacy and confidentiality at all times.
- Actively supporting the teams; working to prevent and solve problems which may arise from working relationships among individuals and/or teams.
- Staying current by continuously updating job and industry knowledge – exhibiting a keen desire to self-develop and improve.
- Leveraging technology to improve organization, communication and efficiency. Understanding how to create value and how change impacts all areas of the organization; being a positive change agent.
- Actively building and maintaining an inviting company culture.
- A degree or graduate degree in a related field, combined with a minimum of six years of progressively responsible and diverse business development or international investment experience with a focus on the health/life sciences sector.
- Specific knowledge and prior experience in Alberta’s health/life sciences industry is required.
- Demonstrated superior project management skills that reflect your ability to write and create complex and compelling proposals.
- Experience working with client relationship management (CRM) systems.
- An established industry network that you can use and access to ensure success.
- Proven knowledge of international business, social protocol, and cultural etiquette.
- Fluency in other languages would be considered an asset.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel.
- Proven experience being a supportive and collaborative team player.
- Experience building internal and external relationships, handling difficult personalities and handling conflict situations while demonstrating an ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated success in delivering results with an entrepreneurial spirit of self-confidence and a positive, self-motivated approach.
- Excellent collaborator and communicator in written and verbal form.
- Extremely versatile and dedicated to efficient productivity.
- Passionate about building a community and being the connector that makes it happen.
How to Apply
Interested in being a part of a new, dynamic organization that was designed to have a positive impact on Alberta’s future? If you are looking for an exciting and unique opportunity, to make a difference, and make connections while earning a competitive salary with comprehensive benefits, apply by email, including a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing Date: Posting to remain open until filled.
Thank you for your interest in IAC and Health Cities.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
To learn more about IAC, Health Cities and this position, please visit: investalberta.ca and healthcities.ca