Continuing Education, McMaster University
Continuing Education (CE) provides professional education to individuals and corporate clients, in order to enhance careers and foster workforce development. Our vision is “to achieve national distinction for high quality, flexible and innovative professional education programs”.
Continuing Education is currently seeking part-time instructors to join our existing pool of instructors for the Health Informatics diploma program. In this role, you will deliver the program indicated according to the designated schedule. Perform all preparation, research, student/participant assessment/feedback associated with the course and program objectives, and effectively manages the online course dynamic to enable participants/students to learn and excel. As a part of the CE team, participates in team meetings and other events.
Instructor Responsibilities Include
- Contributes to ongoing design/development of course materials and content in a way that complements other course offerings in the program
- Participates, as required, in meetings/discussions related to course design/improvement
- Designs assessments required as part of the course offering including but not limited to assignments, exams, rubrics etc.
- Provides formal and informal feedback/evaluation to students including the grading/evaluation of assignments/exams
- Curates new course materials (i.e. articles, videos, websites, textbooks) for delivery of course content
- Completes all required preparation prior to session delivery including but not limited to the development of lesson plans, updating the online course site, reviewing course material, assignment preparation
- Delivers session content according to course schedule using effective instruction and facilitation techniques for adult learners
- Corresponds with students as required during the course offering
- Makes adjustments to facilitation and instructional style based on feedback received by participants/students
- Completes all required correspondence and administrative tasks
- Adheres to University academic policies for course administration
Please note: course outlines, learning objectives, suggested readings and assessments are developed as part of McMaster’s academic approval process and do not need to be developed by the instructor.
Location and Schedule
The program’s courses are taught online using McMaster University’s Learning Management System (Desire to Learn/Brightspace). Course lengths vary between 9 – 12 weeks in total.
The ideal candidate will be a Health Informatics professional with a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, or Master’s degree in an appropriate field of study. Current designation or accreditation from professional association, or credentialing body is an asset. Experience teaching and/or training in adult education is additional asset. Other requirements include broad sector knowledge, strong interpersonal and organizational skills, excellent communication skills, proven research skills and problem-solving ability, excellent computer skills, and a demonstrated ability to enable others to learn.
Please email a current resume and cover letter to Continuing Education, firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: HI Instructor Application).
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.