Fraser Health (“FH”) is the largest of five regional health authorities in BC, working together with the Ministry of Health. FH is responsible for delivering hospital and community-based health services to more than 1.8 million people in 20 diverse communities from Burnaby to Fraser Canyon, on the traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples. FH’s communities include a diverse, multicultural population and approximately 62,000 Indige-nous Peoples, associated with 32 First Nation communities and 5 Métis chartered communities. (2016 census). FH’s services include 12 acute care hospitals, an outpatient care and surgery centre, five urgent and primary care centres, one mental health and substance use urgent care response centre, and mental health and substance use, long term-care, public health and community services. More than 29,000 employees, 3,000 physicians and more than 6,000 volunteers work toward FH’s common purpose: to improve the health of the population and the quality of life of the people it serves.
FH is committed to living its values of respect, caring and trust in pursuit of its vision: Better health. Best in health care. FH believes patients and their families are equal and important partners in care. FH believes in transparency and is committed to being accountable to its stakeholders.
Providing quality health care requires dedicated partners. Fraser Health is grateful for the many partnerships that help it deliver, plan, and transform the health care services it provide to its communities, including foundations and auxiliaries, the Fraser Valley Regional Hospital District, volunteers, as well as Divisions of Family Practice.
To learn more, please visit Fraser Health’s website.
Executive Director, Virtual Health Services (Vancouver, BC)
Reporting the VP, Informatics, Technology & Facilities, the Executive Director, Virtual Health Services (“ED”) provides leadership and oversight of virtual health initiatives across Fraser Health. The ED works with key stake-holders internally and externally to drive the adoption of virtual health services. This critical role will transform the delivery of health services and promote sustainability and efficiency in health service delivery.
The ED is responsible for building virtual health capacity across the organization, driving the promotion and adoption of tools to deliver health care services virtually. Ensuring that quality of care is not compromised, this role will help drive a change in the delivery of care across all settings. The ED provides leadership and oversight in the planning and day-to-day delivery of services to drive operational excellence; establishes policies, procedures and budgets; assists in formulating annual goals and objectives; ensures consistency with industry standards and accreditation bodies; creates financial and workforce plans for the portfolio; leads, directs and supervises assigned staff.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a visionary leader to make a transformative impact in one of Canada’s largest and most progressive public health organizations. With strong support from the Board, the leadership team, and the broader organization, Fraser Health is primed to leverage technology in health delivery.
Reporting and Portfolio
The ED reports to the VP Informatics, Technology & Facilities and will have the opportunity to design and build a team to fulfill this critical mandate for Fraser Health.
Key Areas of Involvement
- Establishes and directs a regional virtual health team to support and optimize new and existing virtual health solutions and deployments cross sites, services and roles.
- Provides Virtual Health leadership to clinical leaders across FH to embed virtual health technologies within care processes; collaborates with FHA leaders to oversee the use and optimization of virtual health technologies within care processes, while ensuring best practice standards are met.
- Leads designated FHA-wide governance groups; facilitates consensus, consults, negotiates and shares information in order to achieve a common, comprehensive, enhanced and standardized future-state virtual health system that addresses the needs and strategic directions of FHA.
- Provides leadership and oversight in the planning and day-to-day delivery of services to drive oper-ational excellence; establishes policies, procedures and budgets; assists in formulating annual goals and objectives; ensures consistency with industry standards and accreditation bodies; creates both financial and workforce plans for the portfolio; leads, directs and supervises assigned staff.
- Enables the optimization of virtual health capacity by establishing processes and structures.
- Leads virtual health team through the ongoing enhancements and use of the virtual technologies, as well as the ongoing translation and evaluation of the digitally-enabled practices and workflows; defines gaps and risks in clinical and business systems and technology enablers, partnering with IM/IT leaders to recommend future changes.
- In collaboration with IM/IT leadership, identifies, develops, recommends, and supports the implementation of plans, change strategies and accountability mechanisms to ensure clinicians, providers, and operations leaders understand how they will be impacted, to be engaged and accountable in how to prepare for and implement clinical changes.
- In collaboration with clinical and medical programs, establishes process and outcome measures that reflect FHA’s strategic priorities related to use of Virtual Health and recognizing the goals of better outcomes, lower costs, improved patient experience and improved clinician experience.
- Leads, informs and advances the translation of digital practice and care through the adoption of new/revised policies, standards, guidelines and procedures associated with the virtual technologies and technology enablers, partnering with key departments.
- Works closely with VP, Informatics, Technology & Facilities to share best practices, align processes and synergize as much as possible.
- Works collaboratively with other health authorities to share best practices and support the development of virtual technologies that benefit patients.
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately reports unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
As the successful candidate, you are a leading expert in virtual health administration and in driving the adoption and implementation of best practices and tools that drive transformative health care delivery. Comfortable with internal and external stakeholder consultation, as well as possessing well-rounded and deep subject matter expertise in building virtual health capacity, you are also demonstrably resilient and decisive, with the operational acumen and strategic capabilities to guide staff through challenging virtual health initiatives.
Required Qualifications, Education, and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Health Information Management, or a related discipline, supplemented with more than ten (10) years’ recent, related experience in a large clinical system environment, including five years (5) years’ leadership experience (including leadership at a senior level).
Professional / Technical Capabilities
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in redesigning clinical processes to improve clinical practice, efficiency and patient care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with implementation or use of a clinical information system.
- Project management experience – detailed scope identification, progress monitoring & reporting, issue and risk management.
- Demonstrated ability to use database, spreadsheet and word processing software at an advanced level.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
For More Information
FOR INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Leo McPeak or Tony Kirschner
LEADERS INTERNATIONAL EXECUTIVE SEARCH
#880—609 Granville Street
Vancouver, BC V7Y 1G5
Phone: (604) 688-8422