Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) is a community of 15,000 staff, physicians, residents, researchers and volunteers that proudly serves southwestern Ontario residents. We also provide specialized, advanced care to people from across the province. HHS is a world-renowned hospital for healthcare research. HHS focuses daily on improving the quality of care for patients through innovation and evidence-based practices. As the largest employer in the Greater Hamilton region, HHS plays a vital role in training the next generation of health professionals in collaboration with academic partners, including McMaster University and Mohawk College.
Reporting to the Vice President HITS & CIO, the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will be responsible for enabling key strategic digital initiatives and providing leading-edge technology solutions to the Hamilton Health Sciences’ operation. The CTO will provide sound technical leadership in all aspects of the Health Information Technology Services (HITS) portfolio. The CTO will have the HITS organizational responsibility for the technical, data architecture and operations of the hospital IT systems. Additionally, the CTO will also provide technical leadership to support the Vice President Research portfolio initiatives as required.
Strategic thinking and strong business acumen are essential in this role. The CTO will possess adaptive communication skills, a drive to tackle large organizational challenges, and have demonstrated an ability to foster strong partnerships across an organization.
The CTO is expected to be well-versed in current technological trends and familiar with a variety of business concepts with an ability to apply those concepts to a diverse audience. The CTO will have extensive experience in managing complex technology projects, budgets, human resources and project partners. Experience in developing and delivering projects while maintaining the security and privacy of patient health information is required. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in deploying cloud-based solutions at a regional and national scale is a strong asset. Deep knowledge of digital health standards and data management protocols is required to ensure the scalability and spread of HHS strategic initiatives.
The successful candidate will possess a Masters’ degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent and/or relevant experience (e.g. Business / Health Care Information Management). They will bring a minimum ten years in Information Technology Leadership in a complex environment with multiple stakeholders.
- Expert knowledge of healthcare, health care delivery and Health technology including the management of large scale enterprise level projects
- Strong ability to analyze complex multi-dimensional business issues involving technology, management, governance, financing, change management, corporate strategy and to clearly frame issues and propose solutions
- Prior significant experience and skills in team building, coaching, mentoring, supervising staff, conflict management
- Strong change and project management leadership skills
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, skills
- Experience in the design of: electronic health records, health information exchanges, medical informatics, telemedicine, medical standards, health information systems, clinical workflow, hospital management, etc.
- Experience with government procurement and privacy processes
- Financial acuity including proven ability in developing business cases / ROI
- Established talent to deal with and communicate complex technological issues
- Track record of strong and effective interpersonal relationships with a range of public, non-government and private sector actors involved in health ICT initiatives
- Demonstrated successful experience in leading dialogue with provincial and national representatives on e-health initiatives and projects.
- Strong vendor management and negotiation experience and skills
- Proven experience in developing service, legal and privacy frameworks and agreements
- Deep knowledge of security practice and tools
- Ability to communicate technical and security needs to senior management and executives in order to align with the corporate goals and objectives
To express interest in this exciting opportunity please submit your cover letter and resume, in confidence, to https://www.miramsbecker.com/chief-technology-officer-hhs. For additional information, contact Hayley Becker at 647-267-8170.
Hamilton Health Sciences and Mirams Becker are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace; we welcome applications from women, racially visible individuals, people with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and LGBTQ+ persons.
Hamilton Health Sciences Centre is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements for the open position. If contacted for this employment opportunity, please advise if you require any accommodation.