The Faculté de médecine vétérinaire (FMV) of the Université de Montréal is currently seeking qualified candidates for an Assistant Professor position in Artificial Intelligence. The FMV is located in Saint-Hyacinthe, the agricultural capital of Quebec with 57 000 inhabitants. The FMV is located 60 km (37 miles) from Montreal, a vibrant city with an international airport and excellent flight connections to Europe and the USA. The FMV is also within easy reach of the beautiful, historic Quebec City and Ottawa, the capital of Canada. The FMV is located off campus, but maintains strong collaborative ties to other faculties at the Université de Montréal and other universities within the province. A structured mentorship program is available for newly hired professors.
With this position, the FMV wishes to expand its expertise in the field of data science and specifically in agri-food, veterinary science and animal health. Highly qualified individuals with expertise in these and related fields are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will join as the Director of the Plateforme IA-Agrosanté, FMV’s data science service platform. He or she will take a leadership role in the Big Data and AI focus of the FMV’s Centre d’expertise et de recherche clinique en santé et bien-être animal (CERCL).
The successful candidate will be expected to conduct an innovative and independent research program, obtaining external research grants, using an innovative approach, including state-of-the-art techniques. He/she will collaborate with researchers from the various partners of the Université de Montréal’s AI network, including IVADO and the Consortium en Santé Numérique, to contribute to the development of a common vision of AI application through collaborations and sharing. He/she will be involved in AI development projects in veterinary medicine.
The use of data is at the heart of current issues in animal, human and environmental health, in accordance with a “One Health” approach. This new position is part of the strategy to train the next generation of veterinarians and scientists who are proficient in new research technologies that combine data science and veterinary science and who have an understanding of the current challenges in animal health and agri-food. To learn all about FMV and experience the excitement of its faculty life, visit our website.
As a professor, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the excellence of the Faculté de médecine vétérinaire:
Through your teaching and your research activities, enhancing the reputation of your discipline and playing an active role in the overall operations of a renowned institution. As such, you will:
- Participate in the teaching of students enrolled in the undergraduate veterinary doctoral program;
- Participate in the teaching and training of graduate students (MSc, PhD and postdoctoral);
- Lead the IA-Agrosanté platform and its professionals;
- Develop an autonomous research program related to the position and to the activities of the faculty;
- Contribute to the implementation of AI within the FMV and establish partnerships with the agri-food industry and stakeholders in this discipline;
- Participate in outreach activities for the discipline (publications, conferences, etc.);
- Contribute to the functioning of the institution.
To succeed in this role, you must have the following qualifications:
- Hold a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree or equivalent;
- Hold a Ph.D. degree in data science or epidemiology in veterinary medicine;
- Sufficient post-doctoral training in the field of AI applied to veterinary or agri-food sciences (multi-species an asset), or equivalent experience;
- Experience working with industry in the field of AI applied to veterinary or agri-food sciences (experience in health economics would be an asset);
- Have a record of research and publications in data science and economics related to veterinary medicine that demonstrates scientific and academic excellence;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary team to develop research themes related to FMV activities;
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a team environment and develop collaborations with members of the department, the faculty and industry stakeholders;
- Have an adequate knowledge of the French written and spoken language or a strong commitment to mastering the proficiency level required, in accordance with Université de Montréal’s Language Policy. An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
How to submit your application
All candidates are asked to submit a letter of intent detailing their research interests and career objectives, as well as their curriculum vitae, a copy of their diplomas, three examples of major publications or achievements, and the full name and contact information (phone numbers, email, postal address) of 3 referees. Applications should be sent to:
Dr. André Desrochers
Chair, Département de sciences cliniques
Faculté de médecine vétérinaire, Université de Montréal
3200, rue Sicotte, Saint-Hyacinthe (QC) J2S 2M2
Phone: 450-773-8521, poste 8297
Additional information about the position
August 15, 2021. Applications received after the deadline might be considered if no other timely applications meet the requirements.
Université de Montréal offers a competitive salary and a full range of benefits.
October 1st, 2021, or according to candidate’s availability
Université de Montréal is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion. Through its Equal Access Employment Program, UdeM invites applications from women, Aboriginal people, visible and ethnic minorities, as well as persons with disabilities. We will –confidentially – adapt our recruitment mechanisms to the specific needs of people with disabilities who request it. We also welcome applications from candidates of all orientations and sexual identities. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents.
Université de Montréal’s application process allows all members of the Professor’s Assembly to review the application files submitted. If you wish to keep your application confidential until the shortlist is established, please mention it in your application.