Job Title: Junior Lawyer or Law Clerk
Location: Toronto, ON
Job Type: Permanent Full-Time
Job Band: 4
Posting Date: April 5, 2021
The Junior Lawyer or Law Clerk will provide legal and privacy support for the General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer (CPO). Your responsibilities will include drafting and negotiation of legal documents, development of policy positions, organizing and expediting the flow of work of the General Counsel, contract management and the establishment of electronic databases for contracts. You will initiate follow-up actions; carry-out administrative duties, and attending high-level meetings with the General Counsel. Your work will include drafting privacy policies and processes, supporting staff engagement on privacy and security, developing best practices and education materials on privacy and security and developing knowledge management systems.
The ideal candidate for this position is a Junior Lawyer or an experienced Law Clerk or Paralegal with a strong and independent work ethic, exceptional research, writing, and problem-solving skills, and is comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, and technical workplace
Working closely with the General Counsel & CPO, your responsibilities will be:
- Preparing substantive legal documents and correspondence with limited instruction/direction
- Developing privacy policies and procedures and conducting privacy impact assessments
- Conducting and reporting on research in the areas of contract, health, business, and regulatory law
- Preparing legal and policy memoranda
- Providing privacy support to other employees
- Evaluating files to review facts and syntax, determine appropriate processes, and plan the steps necessary for the conduct of the file; ensuring critical deadlines are met
- Developing educational and training support materials on privacy and security practices
- Preparing presentations and developing and delivering Privacy training
- Interfacing with stakeholders and various professionals in the legal, technology, and health domains
- Interpreting complex technical language and concepts and adapting these for a legal context
- Exercising initiative and judgment to relieve the General Counsel of administrative detail
- Preparing and maintaining a bring-forward system, as well as providing appropriate reminders
- Delegating tasks to, and coordinating with, other administrative departments
- Providing backup coverage in the absence of other assistants
Requirements that are important to us:
- Law Clerk Experience: Minimum 3-5 years’ experience as a paralegal/law clerk
- Must be eligible for membership in the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario; or
- Junior Lawyer: Minimum 2-4 years experience and member of Law Society of Ontario
- Completion of Juris Doctorate
- Experience working in a Corporate environment or Hospital is required
- Successful completion of a relevant post-secondary education program
- Experience in developing privacy policies and processes, drafting of data sharing agreements
- Experience in negotiating contracts
- An understanding of contract, privacy & business law and processes, health care and intellectual property
- Superior legal research skills and familiarity with Canlii, Westlaw, Quicklaw, or similar
- Excellent computer skills – especially with MS Office 365
- Strong customer service skills and able to interact with all levels of staff, members of the public and external agencies
- Strong team player, motivated, helpful and enthusiastic.
- Must be thorough, possess an outstanding attention to detail, and have the ability to multitask and work to tight timelines.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply online through our careers page. Applications will be considered up until April 11, 2021.
For further information, visit our website at www.ontariomd.ca. We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. OntarioMD is an equal opportunity employer and values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. OntarioMD fosters a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths. OntarioMD welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Following the advice of provincial health authorities, to mitigate the risk of the potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire onboarding will be conducted remotely. While we are doing our best to ensure reasonable response times, please expect potential delays during the recruiting process due to the current situation.
OntarioMD does not solicit personal information such as banking information or passport information over social media sites for employment purposes.